This Sunday Jan 29, 2023
Finding Our Center in Community with Sophie Hannauer and Heike Saynisch – At JRUUC, it’s traditional for our Board of Trustees to lead a Sunday service from time to time. In keeping with this month’s theme, Board members Sophie Hannauer and Heike Saynisch will offer reflections on finding a center in the Reeb community.
Children and Youth – All ages service.
Donate to Share the Plate – The recipient for Jan. 22 and 29 will be the UUA Disaster Relief Fund, which provides flexible support for congregations affected by natural disasters. This Fund is part of a covenant between the UUA and congregations, between congregations who give generously and those in need, and with our community partners. Through aiding our congregations, their members and their community partners, we are able to embody our faith and values. Recently requests have come from California where heavy rains, high winds, and fallen trees caused significant damage to church buildings.
Shared Music This Week – Click for more about music
- Hymn #360 – “Here We Are Gathered”
- “Awake the Sacred Fire” by Bernice Martin, harmony by Heather Pierson
- Hymn #1021 – “Lean on Me”
New Email for Submitting Announcements – email@example.com
NOTE: Deadline for Announcements is Tuesday at 10 p.m. Submit announcements for the website any time. Please send your announcement to this new email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify where you would like it listed by writing Sunday Announcement and/or Weekly and/or Website in the subject line of your email
This Week at Reeb: (check weekly email for zoom links)
- Wednesday 6:30-7pm – Meditation with Friends (on zoom – see email for link)
- Thursday 7pm – Sacred Breath Choir
- Rev. Karen will have altered availability – click for details
- Saturday Jan 28th 6pm – Sustainable Saturday Night
- Sunday Jan 29th 4pm – WUUSAN Book Club – To Be a Water Protector: The Rise of the Wiindigoo Slayers
Save the Date…
- Feb 12th 1-3pm – Book discussion starts – Me and White Supremacy
- Feb 26th – 4-6pm – Monthly discussion group starts – Building Our Racial Awareness
Our January Theme: The Path of Finding Our Center
Our January theme invites us to cultivate calm and peace- and to invite unrest and discomfort in our work to create calm and peace in the world. In this space, you’ll find a new invitation into reflection on our monthly theme every week.
Check-in question: What three things most moved you toward your center this past year?
If we want to support each other’s inner lives, we must remember a simple truth: the human soul does not want to be fixed, it wants simply to be seen and heard. If we want to see and hear a person’s soul, there is another truth we must remember: the soul is like a wild animal — tough, resilient, and yet shy. When we go crashing through the woods shouting for it to come out so we can help it, the soul will stay in hiding. But if we are willing to sit quietly and wait for a while, the soul may show itself. – Parker Palmer
New This Week
Healthcare is a Human Right Campaign!
Sign our petition to demand that the State Joint Finance Committee expand Medicaid and keep Wisconsin citizens covered! WI PPC Healthcare is a Human RIght Petition
Save the Dates:
- February 9th Virtual Statewide Poor People’s Campaign meeting 7pm
- March 22nd Day of Action at the Capitol Rotunda
Want to know more, get involved or share your story? All are welcome. Contact Megan Barry
All the talk of anti-racism and white supremacy is bringing up a lot of feelings in many people. The book group for Me and White Supremacy will provide an opportunity to dig deeper into those feelings and gain insight. The intention of this supportive environment is to provide a safe place to discuss thoughts and feelings of guilt, confusion, and overwhelm and provide a path through to a more productive outlook on being an ally to BIPOC.
Book Discussion: Me and White Supremacy by Layla F. Saad – A 4-week series on Sundays at 1:00-3:00 pm, February 12 through March 5 Click for more info.
How was the audio and video last Sunday?
We’ve been trying out our new AV system during Sunday worship, and would like to hear about your in-person or virtual experience. Please email Rev. Karen with your feedback.
Help make worship happen!
Your Worship and Music Team is continually looking for people to serve as Worship Associates and Tech Wizards. We’ve simplified zoom hosting and it is now done in the sanctuary, along with audio-visual work! Please email Rev. Karen with your interest or questions.
Small Group Ministry – See your weekly newsletter for Zoom links
- Wednesday – Meditation Group 6:30-7 on zoom
- Thursday – Sacred Breath Choir – 7pm
- Sunday – Octavia’s Parables Reflection Group 1-2 (on zoom) – next meets 2/5/23
- Monday – Journaling Group – every other Monday, 7-8 on zoom or in person. Next meeting is 1/30, contact Jean Skinner.
- Events/Activities Calendar
- Upcoming Services
- Recent Past Services
- Snow Lottery Calendar – Sign up to help with snow removal on our sidewalks – we have several dates open in February!