This first Sunday of the New Year, we usually gather in multigenerational community for our Fire Communion service, in which we seal our intentions in the ritual of the burning bowl. This year, our ritual will happen in our homes – and you’re invited to celebrate your intentions in person after the service and coffee hour. If you’d like to cast your intentions into a fire with Rev. Karen, come to the back parking lot between 11:30 and 12:30 next Sunday, January 9th – date for outdoor activity has been changed!
And it’s YOUTH SUNDAY! Rev. Karen will meet with our youth via Zoom right after the service.
Our Share the Plate recipient this week is The River Food Pantry, South Central Wisconsin’s busiest food pantry. They work with local grocers to prevent food waste and provide free groceries, freshly prepared to-go meals, and mobile lunches for children and adults in low-income neighborhoods. Your funds will go to purchase foods not available as donations. They also have many opportunities to volunteer at their facility on Darwin Road.
Order of Service
- Gathering Song: #188 “Come, Come, Whoever You Are”
- Centering Sound
- Prelude: “Awake the Sacred Fire,” by Bernice Martin and Heather Pierson
- Call to Worship
- Opening Hymn: #1000 “Morning Has Come”
- Lighting the Chalice
- Musical Response
- Time for All Ages: “Kids Try New Years Food From Around the World,” from HiHoKids
- Hymn: #1008 “When Our Heart Is in a Holy Place”
- Wisdom from the World’s Traditions: “intentions and trust” by Amy Lloyd
- Reflection: “The Best Intentions…” with Rev. Karen
- Offering: “Blazing,” by Mean Mary with Frank James
- Joys and Sorrows
- Closing Hymn: #1028 “The Fire of Commitment”
- Extinguishing the Chalice and Benediction
- Postlude: “Winds of Change,” by Bernice Martin