Justice Work at JRUUC
People in our congregation are active in many initiatives to create social justice in our community, city, state, and world.
JRUUC’s Justice Leadership Team meets monthly (usually on the third or fourth Tuesday at 7 pm). The team’s role is to organize the Focus Teams who are working directly in our community. All are welcome. See your weekly email or the events calendar for the next meeting’s date.
Send an email to request to join the Google Group at email@example.com, if you want to be sent the agenda and Zoom link every month.
Some of the projects, called Focus Teams, that Reeb members and friends engage with include:
- Share the Plate initiative – Each week we share half of our offertory with a community partner. In 2018/2019 JRUUC donated over $5,000 to organizations that share our mission. Nominate an organization for the Share the Plate initiative today!
- MOSES – Madison Organizing in Strength and Solidarity is a non-partisan interfaith organization that works to promote social justice with a focus on ending mass incarceration.
- Immigrant and Refugee Rights Team – We do advocacy, social action and humanitarian aid for immigrants and refugees in partnership with the Dane Sanctuary Coalition, local immigrant-led organizations and refugee agencies. For more information, contact Leila.
- Safe Skies Clean Water Wisconsin – A grassroots coalition whose mission is to stop the basing of F-35A Joint Strike Fighter jets at Truax Air National Guard base in Madison and to force clean-up of existing contamination of the water supply emanating from the base
- Community Action Coalition Farmers Market Food Collection – CAC organizes a Farmers Market Food Collection each Saturday. We do the collection 3 times/season. Check your weekly email to sign up for the next collection date.
- WUUSAN – The Wisconsin UU State Action Network organizes justice efforts amongst all WI UU congregations.
- UUA – this team organizes our congregation to respond to calls to action from the UUA’s Side With Love organizing campaign.
- 8th Principle Project – JRUUC and other UU congregations are working on adding an 8th Principle affirming the need for ongoing anti-racism and anti-oppression action. JRUUC’s team formed in the fall of 2022.
Contact the JRUUC office to learn how to get involved in any of the above.
Click here for Wisconsin Network for Peace and Justice’s calendar for opportunities outside of our congregation.