Join us for this service via an on-line Zoom Meeting
Today’s service is based on an idea that came up during coffee hour on May 2. We’ll hear inspirational words and music about the role of story in shaping our humanity and how stories can change in an instant. And we’ll create a story together, one line at a time! Please come and contribute.
Wisconsin Network for Peace, Justice, and Sustainability is a coalition of activist groups and citizens of conscience within Wisconsin. They advance a sustainable world free from violence and injustice by connecting, engaging, and strengthening member groups and serving as a catalyst for community organizing and education.
Order of Service 5/23/21 Rev. Karen Armina
- Gathering Song: #188 “Come, Come, Whoever You Are”
- Centering Sound
- Prelude: “Only Stories”, The Breath
- Call to Worship
- Opening Hymn: # 346, “Come Sing a Song With Me”
- Lighting the Chalice
- Time for All Ages: “A Perfectly Messed Up Story” by Patrick McDonnell
- Hymn: #112 “Do You Hear?”
- Wisdom from the World’s Traditions (1): “In the Moment,” Lynn Ungar
- Building a Story: “Yes, and…” with Rev. Karen and all of you
- Wisdom from the World’s Traditions (2): From “The Gates of the Forest,” Elie Wiesel
- Shared Reflection: “What Stories are Sufficient in COVID Times?” with Rev. Karen and all of you
- Wisdom from the World’s Traditions (3): From “ripe conditions,” adrienne maree brown
- Reflection: “Plot Twist!” with Rev. Karen
- Offering: “Lucy’s Tale,” Sarah Sparks
- Joys and Sorrows
- Closing Hymn: #1020 “Woyaya”
- Extinguishing the Chalice and Benediction
- Postlude: “Tell Me A Story,” Skylar Kergil
Improv Story Created During the Service
Yesterday morning, just as I was waking up, I heard the most unusual sound
It was them trying to scrape ice off my roof
I found it amazing to have ice on the hottest day of the year so far
What’s with this climate change anyway?
It’s got to be my imagination!
I thought maybe the chiller on the apartment roof had failed and built up a lot of ice
My ceiling started to drip. It was dripping on me.
It felt so good because of the actual heat and humidity that was going on that day
A swimming pool opened up in my floor and I jumped in
Sounds like a fun thing to do now
It got bigger and bigger and I started to swim. And in fact it turned into a nice lake and I swam to the other shore.
I looked up and all my stuffed animals had jumped in and were swimming with me
And then, a lot of my neighbors suddenly appeared and started singing to us
They were singing “Swimming To the Other Side”
(sung) ”We all live in a yellow submarine”
Then schools of fish came to join us as well, swimming swimming swimming
And from the distance we heard the voice of a whale singing along with the choir
And then I looked down at my body and I had turned into a fish
And I was free