Our worship leaders have recently participated in Justified Anger’s “Black History for a New Day” course, and will offer some reflections on that experience.
The share the plate recipient for Sunday January 8th & Sunday January15th is Neighborhood Food Solutions. Neighborhood Food Solutions brings agricultural and business training to communities where it is needed the most. It is organized and operated exclusively to conduct charitable and educational activities related to urban agriculture, healthy food, and skills related to growing, distributing, and processing fresh produce.
Order of Service
- Gathering Song: #188 “Come, Come, Whoever You Are”
- Prelude: “Let Justice Roll Down,” Aileen Vance, sung by Lea Morris
- Call to Worship
- Lighting the Chalice and Musical Response
- Shared Music: “Awake the Sacred Fire,” Bernice Martin and Heather Pierson
- Time for All Ages: “My Daddy, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.” by Martin Luther King III
- Shared Music: Hymn #298 “Wake, Now, My Senses”
- Wisdom from the World’s Traditions: excerpt from “Don’t Sleep Through the Revolution,” by Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Reflections: “Centering in Black History for a New Day” with Randy Coloni, Leila Pine, and Virginia Harrison
- Offering: “Deep River,” an African American Spiritual
- Joys and Sorrows
- Shared Music: Hymn #169 “We Shall Overcome”
- Extinguishing the Chalice and Benediction