The Article II Study Commission has submitted their draft revision to our UUA Bylaws, which includes changing our Principles and Sources to “Values and Covenant” and “Inspirations.” Their charge from the UUA Board of Trustees to do this work said “Our commitment to personal, institutional and cultural change rooted in anti-oppression, anti-racism, and multiculturalism values and practices is love in action, and should be centered in any revision of Article II.” This morning, we’ll explore how putting love at the center might impact us and our faith tradition.
Share the Plate
The Share-the-Plate for Feb. 5 and 12 will go toward purchasing illustrated English dictionaries for each of the 54 public schools in Madison. This fundraiser was organized by JRUUC member Virginia Scholtz, who volunteers at Sherman Middle School with immigrant students who are learning English. Having a dictionary with pictures goes a long way when helping students completely unfamiliar with English. Her goal is to give one reference copy and one lending copy to each school to help these students and their families.
Order of Service
- Gathering Song: #188 “Come, Come, Whoever You Are”
- Prelude: “Shall we Gather at the River“ by Robert Lowry
- Call to Worship
- Lighting the Chalice and Musical Response
- Shared Music: “These Hands, This Heart” by Heather Pierson
- Time for All Ages: “A Revising People” by the Rev. Karen Johnston
- Shared Music: Hymn #145 “As Tranquil Streams”
- Wisdom from the World’s Traditions: excerpt from “Which Way” by Lewis Beals Fisher, and “A Living Tradition” by James Luther Adams
- Reflection: “Love at the Center” with Rev. Karen Armina
- Offering: “Monk Meditation” (a tribute to Thelonius Monk) by Wynn-Anne Rossi
- Joys and Sorrows
- Shared Music: Hymn #1040 “Hush”
- Extinguishing the Chalice and Benediction
During her reflections, Rev. Karen referred to several documents you can access here:
- Article II Study Commission full report, including the new Values and Inspirations
- Resources compiled by Rev. Liz Weber, including older statements of faith and the timeline for the adoption process for the Article II revisions
See our current principles and sources here.
Read more from Rev. Karen here.