This Sunday 10/9/22 –
- From You I Receive… with Rev. Karen – The courage shared as we work to build a world where everyone can thrive
- “Second Sunday – Youth In Session” – Kids leave after Time For All Ages for separate sessions
- Deadline for voting on a theme for this year’s Reeb Rave
Donate to Share the Plate – Briarpatch Youth Services, whose mission is strengthening the lives of youth and families. Their Teens Like Us program provides support and education for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer youth ages 13-18.
If you don’t receive our weekly newsletter yet, you can sign up here.
Small Group Ministry – descriptions of groups – see your weekly newsletter for Zoom links
- Wednesday – Meditation Group 6:30-7 on zoom
- Thursday – Sacred Breath Choir 7:00 in person with virtual option (see description)
- Sunday – Octavia’s Parables Discussion Group 6-7 on zoom
- Monday – Journaling Group (every other Monday, 7-8 on zoom or in person. The October 10th meeting will be in person at our building and streaming on zoom for virtual attendees (see weekly email for link)
Saturday, October 8 6pm – Virtual Dinner Party: Cooking With Rev. Karen on Zoom! – click for details – Click here for the recipe for vegan and gluten free cabbage soup. See your Friday email or click here for the zoom link.
Saturday October 15 – Last Reeb CAC Collection Saturday 10/15, 11:45-1:15pm – We collect leftover food from vendors at the Dane County Farmers Market. We still need at least 2 more volunteers. It is FUN! All ages welcome. See your weekly email for link to signup sheet with more details.
Saturday-Sunday, October 15-16 – Campout at Lake Farm Park! Come for Saturday afternoon, stay for the campfire, stay all night… you choose. Click for more details.
Saturday, November 5 10:00-2:30 – Exploring Membership Class at JRUUC, including lunch. If you’re thinking about joining our congregation or simply want to learn more about Unitarian Universalism, the history of James Reeb, and what it means to be a member here, please join Rev. Karen and representatives of the Membership Team for this one-day, in-person event! Registration is required, so contact Mary Wagner or Rev. Karen to sign up or fill out the form on this page. Registration deadline is November 1.
Nov. 12th – Reeb Rave – Party, Dinner, Auction, Fundraiser, Community Builder – We are ready to receive your donations, expertise, time & ideas! We encourage you to offer items and experiences that help us build connection and community – gatherings, excursions, homemade food and goods, artwork, services, lending, lessons etc. Every year we learn a little more about each other through these exchanges and build more Beloved Community. Other donations are also very welcome! If you aren’t using it anymore, it might become a treasure for someone else. That’s another form of connection too. Feel free to include a little background on items you offer. Examples from previous years are on the auction page. Join us! Click to donate or learn more.
- Collecting items at Reeb for those experiencing homelessness
- Farmer’s Market Food Collection 10/15
- 8th Principle and Reeb
- UU the Vote – Local action and WUUSAN
- JRUUC Works for Justice! – Signup for emails
Religious Education and Family Ministry Update – click for details
- New Activities Schedule for Children, Youth & Families – This week is “Youth in Session”
- A letter from Mandy about upcoming changes and her new position
- Job Openings – Directory of Religious Education, & Interim Religious Education Coordinator
- Help needed for Busy Hands table during services
Music and Choir Update – click for details
- Regular rehearsals began September 8th, Thursdays at 7 – new folks are welcome, email Heather if it is your first time coming
- Other music interests? Share them with the congregation!
- Music this week: “We Are All Just Walking Each Other Home,” “Sing Your Spirit Home,” “Building Up a New World”
Membership Gatherings – click for details
Job Opening: Director of Religious Education
You’ve heard by now that Mandy will be leaving us, and so we’re launching a search for a new DRE. Check out the job description and please share it with anyone you think is qualified and interested! Per Board policy, JRUUC members are not eligible to apply for this position. Applicants should send their resume with a cover letter to Rev. Karen. Hire date for DRE is October 24, 2022.
Job Opening for Temporary Position: Interim Religious Education Coordinator
We don’t expect to fill the DRE position in time for a direct transition from Mandy to a new hire, so we’re looking for someone to coordinate the program with Rev. Karen and our volunteers in the interim. Our personnel policy says that “employment with the church is not open to members of the congregation except in rare and unusual circumstances,” and our Board considers this one of those circumstances, so this temporary position, which will end no later than December 31, is open to all. Here’s the job description. Please share with your networks, and contact Rev. Karen if you’d like to apply. Applicants should send their resume with a cover letter to Rev. Karen. Hire date for Interim REC is October 17, and end date is two weeks after DRE position is filled or December 31, 2022, whichever comes first.
Our October Theme: The Path of Courage
Our October theme invites us to recognize and celebrate the many acts of courage it takes to live as our full selves. In this space you’ll find a new invitation into reflection on our monthly theme every week.
Check-in question: What is the greatest act of courage that you directly witnessed? And how did it change you?
Next time, ask: What’s the worst that will happen? Then push yourself a little further than you dare. Once you start to speak, people will yell at you. They will interrupt you, put you down and suggest it’s personal. And the world won’t end. And the speaking will get easier and easier. And you will find you have fallen in love with your own vision, which you may never have realized you had. And you will lose some friends and lovers and realize you don’t miss them. And new ones will find you and cherish you… And at last you’ll know with surpassing certainty that only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth. And that is not speaking it.
Rev. Karen’s Musing for this week – Anniversaries
NOTE: Deadline for Announcements is Tuesday at 10 p.m. Submit announcements for the website any time. Please send your announcement to firstname.lastname@example.org and specify where you would like it listed by writing Sunday Announcement and/or Weekly and/or Website in the subject line of your email.
- 8th Principle Work
- UU the Vote
- Side With Love – social action
- UUA News